I tend to be a creature of habit and I can easily and fall into a boring breakfast routine of eating the same thing every. single. day. I am making it a personal goal this year to gather inspiration from blogs and from Pinterest for fun and healthy ideas to mix things up!
These cookies are slightly sweet, with the delicate flavour of carrot cake and the texture of a muffin top. Nutritionally super charged, these are full of hearty oats, ground flax (omega 3 fatty acids), and vitamin A and C packed carrots, making the perfect portable breakfast for busy weekday mornings.
Perfect as a mid-afternoon snack or a healthy dessert, too.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup ground flax
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (you can use whole-wheat flour as a substitution if you are not gluten intolerant )
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup lightly packed shredded carrots (use finest grate)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (honey or agave syrup would work fine as well)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 325F and toast the pecans for 10-11 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the batter. In a large bowl, mix together the flax, flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and raisins.
2. Grate the carrots and ginger using the finest grate. In a smaller bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 45-60 seconds. You want the oil hot so it doesn’t clump up when adding the cold wet ingredients. Now add in the maple syrup, carrots, applesauce, grated ginger, and vanilla. Stir well.
3. Remove pecans from the oven and add to the dry ingredients. Increase oven temp to 350F. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. The dough will be very sticky, so not to worry.
4. With a spoon, scoop about 13 cookies onto a lined baking sheet. They don’t spread much so you can put them an inch apart. Bake for 14-15 minutes at 350F and allow to cool on baking sheet.
Nutritional info (Per cookie, makes 13 cookies): 186 kcals, 9 grams fat, 24 grams carbs, 5 grams fibre, 10 grams sugar, 4 grams protein. You also get 620 mg Omega-6 and 31 mg Omega-3 fatty acids per cookie thanks to all the flax!